The new Detroit DT12 automated manual truck transmission combines a traditional clutch-actuated manual gearbox with a computer-controlled shift actuator and clutch. The best shift patterns are selected electronically to provide optimal power and fuel efficiency. This proven, easy-to-operate design has been used worldwide for nearly a decade and driven millions of miles.The Detroit DT12 was developed to seamlessly interface with the newly designed DD15 engine, which further enhances performance and efficiency.
It helps drivers reach new heights of efficient performance through:
- Optimized shifting to keep engine in the efficiency “sweet spot”
- Efficient clutch vs. torque converter to reduce energy loss from engine to axles
- Two pedal system to create less driver fatigue
- Lightweight aluminum housing and single countershaft to increase payload efficiency
- eCOAST to automatically operate the engine at idle when coasting on a down grade
- Sophisticated transmission electronics ensure safe and seamless operations in all driving condition
- Skip Shift to automatically “skip” unnecessary gears and increase acceleration to achieve cruising speed quickly and smoothly. It also allows the driver to begin the acceleration in the appropriate “start gear” based on load and grade.
Learn more about the new DT12 transmission.